Thursday, May 28, 2009

Guest Post: A Question

by Roger Underhill


It all happened on a special day. The weather was great – crystal clear, sunny skies, not too hot, but still warm enough to enjoy. My timing was on that day and my responses to people in conversation were of the slightest touch, not too quick or too much, but clever and just right.


I was in Frankfurt, Germany on a business trip, attending a large industry convention. The day was filled with meetings, good discussions, and plenty of business opportunities.


At the end of the day, my business colleagues and I met outside the convention hall to debrief, talk about interesting happenings, as well as plan out the evening. Clearly, after a robust day of worthwhile meetings, a good dinner and plenty of bubbly beverages were in store as a healthy reward. We agreed upon a nice, traditional German place to eat and a nightcap at a trendy Parisian-style club -- we were on our way.


After dinner and a few drinks at the club, it was time for me to get back to my hotel and get some sleep. As I made it out of the club I spotted a parked taxi across the street. I saw the driver playing around with his radio and I approached him quickly. He looked up and spotted me as I raised my hand to let him know of my need for a ride. He motioned with his hand that he was available and to come and get in. I opened the back door and hopped in. He first asked me where I was headed and I gave him the name of my hotel. However, he didn’t leave immediately, as many taxis would, and instead had something to say. I sat silently as I listened, unsure what to expect:


“My iPod here has over 10,000 songs downloaded to it. I also have an enhanced surround sound stereo system installed in this vehicle and it can really play. Go ahead then, young man, pick a song.”


I sat in awe at first at what he had to say. This was out of my cab experience and I had no idea what he was talking about. It was late, I was drunk, and was not mentally quick to pick up what he was saying. My mind started to repeat the words that he just said in order for me to process it. And then, because of my delay, the driver felt the need to repeat himself.


“I’m serious, young man, go ahead and pick a song. Any song. I guarantee that I have it!”


And with that, I fully grasped what a truly unique experience this was. Not only was this old man cool – he had the long gray hair, wrinkly face, and the smoke induced raspy voice to prove his rock music pedigree - but he was now challenging me to pick a song, any song, in fact, a signature song, if you will, that he would jam for me on our way back to my hotel.


I thought quickly, “Wow, what a great service to a cab ride.” But then the larger, existential question fully emerged: what song do I pick? What song, out of 10,000, fully represents me or that I really want to hear at this time? Do I pick a life-long signature song - in fact, do I even have one and, if so, what the heck is it? - or do I try and nit pick with this guy and pick a song that he doesn’t have, just to mess up his game?


My higher instincts got the better of me and I decided to go with a song that I could fully enjoy on our way to my hotel and in my softened, bubbly state. I spoke up quickly.


“I would love to hear anything from the old AC/DC, anything with Bon Scott, how about ‘Let There Be Rock?’ I’m feeling a bit biblical and a little genesis rock experience would be a nice pick-me-up.”


With this, the cab driver paused, turned fully around to look at me from his driver seat and said, “Very nice selection, young man.” He then found the song on his iPod, pushed the button and the song started with that sweet, familiar Angus riff screaming out of the speakers. The driver shifted his Mercedes cab into gear and we were on our way, with Angus leading the way.


What a night and what a question! Out of 10,000 songs, I felt pressured in the moment to pick the perfect song, from the perfect band that was meaningful to me. In that same moment and if the same thing had happened to you, what song would you pick?...


Image is property of the Random Thoughts Blog

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What song did you pick?

Unknown said...

You know... We had a weekend long discussion about this and I could never settle on a song... What would you select?

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, tough one. I guess it would depend on my mood at the time. One of my all time favorite songs though, is "Jack & Diane" by John Cougar Mellencamp. I also LOVE "One" by U2...."Celebration by Kool and the Gang. That is such a hard question to answer....Good stuff Aaron! :)

Anonymous said...

I would, without hesitation pick "Taxi", by Harry Chapin. People's dreams compromised by real life, as happens often. Very meaningful song to me.

Unknown said...

Taxi is a great selection. I new that song, but did not know it was Harry Chapin...just downloaded it from iTunes:-).

Unknown said...

I get 'Jack and Diane' and 'One,' but will have to take a pass on Kool and the Gang...

Anonymous said...

Def depends on my mood...but "Imagine" and "I will Survive" are a couple of my faves.

Anonymous said...

Nice selections. I think I Will Survive would get you back to the hotel at 0200 nicely. :-)